How Does God Speak to Us or Lead Us?



The Bible makes it very clear that God speaks with His people. It may be through illumination of His Word (the Bible), through servants of God, through prophecy, through visions or dreams, or through word of knowledge and word of wisdom. He speaks in various ways.

The Lord guides us through His PRINCIPLES given to us in the Bible.
The Lord guides us through His PROVIDENCE in the circumstances around us.
The Lord guides us through His POWER of the Holy Spirit within us.

It is important to remember that God's guidance will never contradict the truths of Scripture.
It is also important to remember that God is in control of our circumstances and will bring people and events in our way that will help us discern and obey His will in clearer ways.
Finally, God gives us the faith and power to follow Him in the right direction.

Remember that all things work together for good for those who love God, and that when we humble ourselves before Him and submit to Him, He is faithful in what we commit to Him. He is the Author and the Perfecter of our faith.

Surrender to God's will, Prayer, Meditation on God's Word, and Fellowship with God's people are important for us in order to know the times and discern God's will for our life.

1 comment :

  1. I'm all about listening for God and hearing Him communicate with us. He certainly communicates in several ways. I've always struggled, however, with understanding God's will through circumstances. I totally believe that God is in control and can lead us through circumstances, but I also believe that we are constantly attacked by the enemy. I find it impossible to decipher God's communication when it is through circumstances alone.

    For instance, we often talk of God opening and closing doors. I believe that He does, but I also believe Satan can make the correct path seem extra difficult and the wrong path seem extra easy, in essence, Satan is opening and closing doors of his own. I work at a church where I often plan large events and retreats. One such retreat has brought problem after problem. I couldn't find a place to book, when I finally did, they ended up closing down and I had to find yet another venue. This along with several other minor issues brought up the idea, "Is this God telling us not to do the event?" Well, it could be, but it is just as likely that this is Satan trying to stop God's will by making the correct path more difficult. Actually, it's also possible that neither God nor Satan are all that involved in the specifics of this and it's just coincidence. In the end, one requires another form of communication to determine what God's plan is.

    I believe God can use circumstances to confirm something He has already spoken, but I don't think He will use it alone. There's just way too much room for personal interpretation of the events to mean whatever we want them to mean.

    I think the most untapped resource we Christians have is the Holy Spirit within us as you mention. We have God living in us!

    Anyway, your post was encouraging. I often need a reminder that God works all things together for good for those who love Him. If you have any interest in learning more about my take on Hearing God's voice, check out my blog. I have 6 posts on the subject, I just suggest you read them in order. Continue serving the Lord!
    In Christ,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete