The Unique Christ - IV - The Song of the Bride


IV
The Song of the Bride
What does He lack that I should seek another?
I desire nothing apart from Him.
What is that desire that is better than the joy He gives?
I find my deepest enjoyment only in Him.
My Lover is altogether lovely,
Brighter than the morning star,
Fairer than the nocturnal moon,
Stronger than the sun at noon;
My Lover is indescribably lovely –
And, see, He has chosen me!
When my heart began to wander after the fleeting shadows,
Love drew me back to His Arms of peace;
When my thoughts were all shaken by fears of tomorrows,
I was gently reminded that I am His.
I cleave to the One whose breath is my life.
He speaks and I’m filled with overwhelming joy.
I seek no other, He’s my joy consummate;
His love is unsurpassable; His kindness, ultimate!



The evil habit of seeking God-and effectively prevents us from finding God in full revelation. In the "and" lies our great woe. If we omit the "and" we shall soon find God, and in Him we shall find that for which we have all our lives been secretly longing.

We need not fear that in seeking God only we may narrow our lives or restrict the motions of our expanding hearts. The opposite is true. We can well afford to make God our All, to concentrate, to sacrifice the many for the One.....

The man who has God for his treasure has all things in One. Many ordinary treasures may be denied him, or if he is allowed to have them, the enjoyment of them will be so tempered that they will never be necessary to his happiness. Or if he must see them go, one after one, he will scarcely feel a sense of loss, for having the Source of all things he has in One all satisfaction, all pleasure, all delight. Whatever he may lose he has actually lost nothing, for he now has it all in One, and he has it purely, legitimately and forever. 
~A.W. Tozer, The Pursuit of God~


The Unique Christ - I - The Song of the LambThe Unique Christ - II – The Song of the ClayThe Unique Christ – III – The Song of the Disciple

1 comment :