Freedom from Addiction
Do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit. (Eph 5:18)
What is Addiction?
“Loss of control over drug use or the compulsive seeking and taking of drug despite adverse consequences.”
“An inability to stop doing or using something, especially something harmful”
Types of Addiction
- Substance Addiction (drugs, tobacco, alcohol, medicines, etc)
- Behavioral Addiction (gambling, food and eating, shopping, surfing (internet), watching T.V., foul language, sex, pornography, work, exercise, self-love (narcissism))
- Robs TIME
- Robs our TREASURES
- Ruins PHYSICAL HEALTH
- Ruins MENTAL HEALTH
- Ruins RELATIONSHIPS
- Rusts TALENT
Power Principles (1 Corinthians 6:11-20)
11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God.
12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
13 Foods for the stomach and the stomach for foods, but God will destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body.
14 And God both raised up the Lord and will also raise us up by His power.
15 Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a harlot? Certainly not!
16 Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For "the two," He says, "shall become one flesh."
17 But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body.
19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
20 For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.
- Remember that you have been saved by Christ and the Spirit (v.11)
- Resolve to not be controlled by anything else (v.12)
- Reinforce your primary relationship with Christ (v.13) - body for Christ/ Christ for body. [Appetite or desire is not GOD our savior]
- Rivet your eyes on your future resurrection (v.14)
- Recognize God’s power within you (v.14)
- Run away from godless addictions; run towards God (v.18)
- Revere God both physically and spiritually (v.20)