Studies in Ezekiel: God's Watchman (3:16-18)

Now it came to pass at the end of seven days that the word of the LORD came to me, saying, "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; therefore hear a word from My mouth, and give them warning from Me: When I say to the wicked, "You shall surely die,' and you give him no warning, nor speak to warn the wicked from his wicked way, to save his life, that same wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at your hand. (Ezekiel 3:16-18)


God appoints Ezekiel as a watchman for the house of Israel (3:17).

The Nature of His Position is:
1. Sacred. He is appointed by God. “I have made you a watchman” (v.17).
2. Specific. It relates to the people of Israel. “for the house of Israel” (v.17).
3. Serious. It concerns life or death. His faithfulness in watchfulness and warning will mean life or death to the ones he’s called to minister. “I will hold you accountable for his blood” (v.18).
4. Solitary. He can’t depend on anyone or anyone’s compliance or support. He is called alone and must be a witness alone. “but you will have saved yourself” (v.19).

The Duties of Ezekiel as God’s Watchman for Israel are:
1. Watchfulness – Hearing God and being aware of thing around – “Hear the word I speak and give them warning from me.” (v.17)
2. Warning the Sinner. (v.18-21).
The Warning Must be:
a. Clear and Loud – “speak out” (v.18).
b. Conversion-Oriented – “to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life.” (v.18).
c. Cogent – It should be persuasive - “to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life.” (v.18).
d. Concerned – It is moved by passion for souls – “to save his life” (v.18).

© Domenic Marbaniang, Feb, 2010.



No comments :

Post a Comment