He Didn't Commit Himself to Anyone

But Jesus did not commit Himself to them, because He knew all men, and had no need that anyone should testify of man, for He knew what was in man. (Jon.2:24-25)

Rejection, betrayal, denial, and abandonment - He knew all of that would come; and yet, He loved them all. But, He didn't commit Himself to them.

How do I know if a good friend would not betray me or deny me? How would I know if the one who praised me today wouldn't slander me tomorrow? If they did it to the spotless Son of God, what is this frail and failing metal to expect any better?

And, yet He who knew no sin was made sin for us and the chastisement of our sins was on Him. But, He trusted none for He knew what was in man.

But, what was in man?

Selfishness. The desire to condemn. The desire to bypass punishment. The desire to rather let others suffer than to suffer for them. The desire to desire desire, the flame of fire....

Vileness.

No comments :

Post a Comment